Editing exercise: clip 9
Here are some ideas, plans, and diagrams for potential editing exercises accessible from this clip.
- offer the possibility of changing one of the lines of action in parallel edit: reverse, subvert the emotional dynamics of the scene
- three synchronous, converging lines: embattled family in cabin, converging Klansmen, and blacks congregating in the street
- possibility: remove the threatened family as point of identification, edit scene down to confrontation between Ku Klux Klan and the racial targets
- provide shots of Afr-Ams in the street being attacked by the KKK and shots of the KKK gathering their forces
- without the sympathetic core provided by the endangered family, the scene takes on even more menacing overtones of racial war: Klan massing not for an heroic rescue, but for hate-inspired lynching
- provide ominous soundtrack